Cooking great Cajun food is truly an art. There really is very little science to this particular form of cooking that includes a lot more than mere lagniappe from the pantry or the spice cabinet. Cajun cooking is something that has often been imitated around the country and around the world but can very rarely be accurately duplicated.
One of the fascinating things about Cajun cooking is the fact that there are very few exact recipes. Most, if not all authentic Cajun cooking is done to taste rather than measurements. Even more amazing is that from day to day one person can make the same dish over and over and it is quite likely to taste a little bit different each and every time it is made. The major reason for this is that in addition to being an art form in and of itself, Cajun food is often made even more delicious or mysterious simply by the mood of the one doing the cooking.
Im sure that many of you have watched as Emeril Lagasse makes some special concoction and exclaims Bam! there is a good bit of that when it comes to Cajun cooking. Something that goes far beyond the ingredients in the recipe and somewhere into the heart and the soul of the cook in question. There is a reason that many southern cooked dishes are referred to as soul food and you should not for one second forget that New Orleans is in the heart of the Deep South.
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
The most difficult thing, perhaps when it comes to preparing good Cajun dishes outside of the New Orleans region is finding the right ingredients. It is nearly impossible to find the fresh seasonings and spices that are essential to most Cajun cuisine outside the heart of the old south. Not only that, but fresh crawfish and andouille sausage are a little difficult to come by during the heart of a Michigan winter.
If you are determined to learn to make Cajun food of your own, you must first find the ingredients. Specialty food shops or those that will special order might be your best bet. There are some grocers that will carry a limited stock of Cajun seasonings on their international food aisles. Keep in mind that these sources are extremely limited. Once you have the ingredients, its time to let a little jazz blare from your speakers in order to set the mood. Most of the best Cajun dishes require a substantial amount of time for simmering and this should be considered. Cajun food is not to be rushedmuch like the citizens of the Big Easy. The food will be ready in time and as the one cooking the food you must learn to accept that about Cajun food. It has a way of letting you know when it is ready that is almost mythical until youve experienced it for yourself.
Cooking Cajun food will try your patience, try your talents, and in some cases zap your energy, as it tends to be an emotional process for many. On the other end however, Cajun food is some of the richest and most delicious food on the planet. When you master the art of cooking Cajun you will be addicted.
- CBS is planning an improved streaming service after squandering its head start with All Access February 28, 2020
- Beyond Harry Potter: Mirvish brings West End musical & Juliet and Broadway’s ‘radical’ rethink of Oklahoma! to Toronto – The Globe and Mail February 27, 2020
- Week in Pictures February 27, 2020
- Amazon's 'Hunters' is a magically violent fairy tale about killing Nazis February 26, 2020
- Troubled Eaze finally closes $35M funding to roll out a new vertical model selling its own cannabis February 26, 2020
- Coronavirus fears hit markets, bringing US shares down as tech and SaaS slip February 25, 2020
- Grab the best Yoga Wear discover and learn.
- Yoga videos for yogis
- yoga supplies has it all
- Planning for a yoga
- Tips and Steps to Beat
- Yoga Tips For The Hands | Yoga With Adriene
- Into Spirituality? Then This Is Your Duty…
- Awakening From Self-Talk
- Guided meditation Deep sleep & Overthinking (5 combined meditations) – long talkdown
- Newest Oddly Satisfying Video | Relaxing Music to Watch Before Sleep